Ranthambhore Fort Tourist Places of Rajasthan

By  |  0 Comments

Ranthambhore Fort 

History Ranthambhore Fort

Ranthambhore Fort Tourist Places of Rajasthan

The most seasoned settlement in Sawai Madhopur was around the Ranthambhore post. The correct root of the Ranthambhore post is as yet debated yet it is, by and large, acknowledged that there was a settlement at the site of the Fort, as far back as the eighth century AD. It is broadly trusted that the development of the Ranthambhore post was begun amid the reign of the Chauhan Rajput lord Sapaldaksha in 944 A.D. Another hypothesis stipulates that King Jayant, likewise a Chauhan Rajput, manufactured the Ranthambhore Fort stronghold amid 1110 AD. It is in all likelihood that the development of the fortification initiated amid the mid-tenth Century AD and proceeded for a couple of hundreds of years after that.Since the Ranthambhore Fort controlled the exchange courses between North India and Central India: it was exceedingly pined for by the leaders of North India. The Ranthambhore Fort has its brilliant minutes amid the rule of the lord Rao Hammir, the last leader of the Chauhan line 1282-1301 AD). Amid 1300 AD, Alauddin khilji, the leader of Delhi sent his armed force to catch the stronghold. After three unsuccessful endeavors, his armed force, at last, vanquished the Ranthambhore Fort in the thirteenth century and finished the rule of the Chauhan’s. In the home three centuries, the Ranthambhore Fort changed hands various circumstances, till Akbar, the colossal Mughal head, at long last assumed control over the Fort and broke down the State of Ranthambhore in 1558. The fortification remained in the ownership of the Mughal rulers till the mid-eighteenth century.Amid the mid-eighteenth century, the Maratha leaders of western India were step by step expanding their impact in this locale. With a specific end goal to check the developing impact of the Marathas, Sawai Madho Singh, the leader of Jaipur state, unsuccessfully, asked for the Mughal ruler to hand over the Ranthambhore fort to him, in 1763, Sawai MadhoSingh sustained the adjacent town of Sherpur and renamed it Sawai Madhopur. This town, which is currently generally known as the ” “Sawai Madhopur city” lies in a tight valley between two parallel slopes, at the south western edge of the Ranthambhore National Park. After two years, the Mughals given over the fortification to the Jaipur state.

Visiting site of Ranthambhore Fort

The fort is well protected by a massive fortification wall provided with stepped and Z-shaped gateway with two strong and massive doors. Inside the fort, the Hammir Badi Kachahari, chhoti Kachahari, Battis khambha Chhatri, Hammir Palace and Rani Palace, with later additions and in dilapidated condition, are important secular structure. Among temples, the Ganesa temple is important besides a few Jaina temples.

Hammir Kachahari
It is situated in the northwest corner of the fort near the Delhi Gate. Facing north, it is built on a raised plinth and consists of a central chamber (19.50m X 11.90m), flanked by two rectangular chambers on either side. The ceiling of the central chamber rest on pillars, arranged in two rows. This arrangement of pillars divides the chamber into fifteen, compartments. The base and shaft of each pillar is square. The front of the central chamber consists of five toranas resting on a double row of columns. The peripheral compartments have sloping ceiling. It is constructed of stone rubbles in lime mortar veneered by roughly dressed slabs. The construction of this building is attributed to Hammir (A.D.1283-1301).

Hammir Palace
The royal palace, named after the strongest ruler of the fort, is a magnificent building which is accessible from the north through an arched gateway approached by ramps from two directions. The eastern wing is triple-storeyed while the other sides are single-storeyed. Besides, an underground storey also occurs in the north-east corner. The ground storey is multi-chambered with all cells interconnected by small doorways and a common verandah. The ceiling of the verandah rests on plain pillars. The eastern facade of the palace is provided with projected balconies. The access to the first storey is through a ramp. The ceiling of the palatial compartment is flat made of sandstone slabs supported on beams. The palace is built of stone rubble in lime mortar, plastered in lime. Some walls are veneered by stone slabs. The construction of this building is attributed to Hammir (A.D. 1283-1301).

Battis Khamba Chhatri
Situated near Hammir Mahal, the Battis khamba Chhatri is a three-terraced structure approached from north through a flight of steps. The top terrace measuring 12.5 m X 12.5m, has a roof which rests on thirty-two pillars. These pillars are arranged in two rows on each side. The outer row has six pillars and the inner one has four pillars on each side. The lower part of the pillar shaft is square and the upper part is octagonal. Surmounted by capital. The verandah has a flat ceiling while the central portion has a domical ceiling with three smaller domes on each side.The inner faces of the octagonal drum of the dome are decorated with pot and foliage and figures of Ganesa and Vanugopala. The first two terraces are made of stone rubble with lime plaster and the third one is veneered by red sandstone slabs. This building can be dated circa eighteenth century A.D.